The mission of Disaster Safety Strategies is simply to provide our clients with the highest quality counsel and services to support their work in making America safer.
In pursuing this mission, we are committed to providing advanced research techniques, thoughtful policy counsel and effective communications strategies and implementation to fuel client success.
Leading Disaster Safety Strategies are Eric Cote and Cara Klein. Collectively, their 25+ years of specialized work in the disaster safety arena make them a formidable team that can help any organization meet a range of goals.
Click here for Cara's Bio
Cara Klein’s Notable Qualifications/Achievements in Disaster Safety Arena
- Advanced understanding of the challenges associated with marketing mitigation products and technologies to architects, builders and consumers.
- Developed and implemented branding and comprehensive strategic marketing programs for a regional manufacturer of impact-resistant windows and doors, helping to propel the product line to the national market leadership position for 8 consecutive years.
- Long time corporate partner of key non-profit disaster safety organizations, helping to fund and guide innovative programs to advance the Disaster Safety Movement.
- Developed strategic marketing plan for the Federal Alliance for Safe Homes (FLASH) to support the launch of StormStruck®, the interactive severe weather experience at Walt Disney World’s Epcot Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Florida.
- Account director providing strategic counsel and implementation of communications programs for clients that support mitigation and safety education and outreach, including development of collateral, direct mail, websites, event management, advertising, social media engagement, trade show booths, and more.
Eric Cote’s Notable Qualifications/Achievements in Disaster Safety Arena
- Co-Creator, Protecting People First Foundation
- Author, Finding the Breaking Point, acclaimed report on the record 2004 Florida Hurricanes
- Advisor, University of Rhode Island Graduate School of Oceanography (Providing expert input in the development of www.HurricaneScience.org, the world’s most comprehensive, scientifically-based website on hurricane science)
- Building Code Consultant (Providing strategic counsel and campaign management support to coalition of Fabric-based hurricane shutter manufacturers)
- Creator of numerous innovative and creative public education initiatives to promote increased safety from natural and manmade disasters
- Directed numerous disaster safety research initiatives to measure consumer attitudes towards mitigation and preparedness
Depending on the specific needs of DSS clients, other agency personnel and strategic partners are added to the account team. Greg Coppa, a long time DSS associate, has been deeply involved in a number of the agency’s notable disaster safety initiatives. Greg was a key player in the development of Finding the Breaking Point, a study of window performance in the 2004 Florida hurricanes. Finding the Breaking Point was heralded by Florida’s Director of Emergency Management, Craig Fugate, who now serves as FEMA Administrator. The report also drew praise from then Director of the National Hurricane Center, Max Mayfield.
When our clients need technical experts to provide advice on the product approval process or building code modifications, we tap our network of leading structural engineers who have extensive experience working with code bodies and building officials. In other cases, our technical experts are academic leaders ideally positioned to add DSS client products to ongoing or planned research projects to test emerging technologies.
In a number of cases, clients not only need the focused expertise of Disaster Safety Strategies, but support from DSS’s sister company, CK Communications, an award-winning communications firm. These combined services can be seamlessly provided in an integrated campaign. To learn more about CK Communications capabilities and the people behind them, contact agency principals Eric Cote at firstname.lastname@example.org or Cara Klein, at Klein@ck-com.com.